HISTORYCAL


Murighiol Paleochriastian Church can be found in the area of Halmirys Stronghold Ruins, from the I-IVth centuries AC. This placed is linked with the death of the first Christian martyrs known in Dobrogea Epictet Priest and his young apprentice Astion. Around 290 AC, the two of them were preached the new religion on this places falling as victims of the Emperor Diocletian’s intolerance.

biserica paleocrestina murighiol.jpg

Orgame Stronghold/Argamum situated at 6 km east from the Jurilovca village, in the place called “Dolojman” or “La Cetate” (“at the Stronghold”). Archeological researches that took place here between 1926 and 1932 and from 1965 continuously permitted the discovery of some important monuments and the drawing of the stronghold’s history for more than 12 centuries of existence. The stronghold, the first settlement on nowadays Romania’s territory mention in a antique writing ( Hecataios Periegesis) was founded in the middle of the VIIth century BC by the Greeks from Asia Minor with at least one generation before the Istros stronghold/Histria in an area with trace of inhabitance since the Bronze Era and the firs Iron Era. Inside the stronghold there were researched and partly restaurated a series of public and private buildings from the V-VII centuries: “the preatory”, the basilica with three vessels and a chapel (conventionally called the Number 3 basilica) basilica from the central sector (basilica 2) the biggest from the argamense basilicas, basilica with only one vessel (basilica 1) houses and parts of the streets’ system. A forth basilica, of short dimensions, with only one vessel was discovered at aprox 1.3 km from the West Gate

argamum.jpg

Heracleea Stronghold placed on the hill that dominates the surroundings of Enisala village, at the crossroads of some important water and land roads. The stronghold was built by the Byzantine Imperial power and by the Genovian commercial one at the end of the XIIIth and the beginning of the XIVth century. During Mircea cel Batran’s ruling the stronghold was owned by Tara Romaneasca and at the end of his ruling   when Dobrogea was conquered by the Turks, an ottoman military guard house established in the stronghold. As an architectural element the main gate’s bastion is imposing, with a double arcade followed by a blind one. In the 90’s the stronghold was the object of an ample restoration process.

heracleea.jpg

Histria Stronghold is situated on the left shore of the Sinoe Lake, in the northern part of the nowadays Istria peninsula. It was founded at the middle of the VIIth BC century (year 657 BC after the historian Eusebius) by the colonists coming from Milet. The city developed continuously for 1300 years, starting with the Greek period until the Romano Byzantine era. During the VIIth century the stronghold was destroyed by avaro-slave attacks and left by its inhabitants. The rich documentary material, the result of over eight decades of archeological research that is inscriptions, architectonic elements, sculptural fragments, luxury and usually ceramic, glass potters and coins, rock pipes and amorphousness are now in the new and modern building of Histria Stronghold Museum, placed on the left of the road that lead to the stronghold and beyond the surrounding of the place.

histria.jpg

Salsovia Stronghold (Mahmudia). The vestiges of the roman stronghold Salsovia are placed on a promontory at which basis there is the Sf. Gheorghe branch. The stronghold functioned as a military camp from the first half of the IIIrd century (Itinerariul Antonini and Tabula Peutingeriana), afterwards as a wing of the roman military legion. The antique stronghold’s walls, 2m thick, were affected until present by the natural factors of erosion By the WW2 effects as well as by the extraction of the rock by the local people. As a result of some archeological prospecting from 2004 on the northern part of the site, inside the stronghold the foundation of a 0.8 m length was discovered. In the absence of some systematic archeological research about the stronghold’s history the information are insufficient.

salsovia.jpg

Ibida Stronghold is placed on the Slava spring's valley, at the Western outside of the Slava Rusa village. The stronghold, a square from the tetrarchy Era with remakes during Justinian- “with huge walls and a tower” (P. Polonic), “exceptional big- the most significant fro all known inside Dobrogea- and that, of course, was (…) the point of crossroad of all roads from the north side of the province” (V. Parvan) - has a surface of 24 ha a fortifications belt Of 2000m long, 33 towers And three gates. Archeological researched taking place here since the ending of XIXth century- years 1885, 1917, 1988-1989, 2001-2002- brought to light- in the center of the stronghold- a basilica with three vessels And three adsides With marble colons and capitols and policolor mosaic pavement, belonging to a paleochristian monastic complex at 2.5 km west from the stronghold and at the establishment of the stronghold’s stratigrafy (I-VIIth centuries)

ibida.jpg

Roman Fortification from Babadag is placed at 5km north from the city where the road crosses the lake with the same name, in the place called “Topraichioi”. Archeological digging made between 1978 and 1983 revealed a little roman fortification. The 2000 coins as well as the ceramics found here date stamp the vestiges between 370 and 450. The fortification was probably built by the Emperor Valens with the purpose of protection the passing bridge and the crossroad from here.

fortificatia romana babadag.jpg

Ali-Gazi Pasa Mosque (Babadag) is the historic and religious architecture monument placed in the center of Babadag city, dating form Medieval Era. Geamia was built in 1609 or 1610. Is known as an interesting Muslim art monument. Built of fatuite Rock, on a rectangular plan, is provided with a monumental porch on the arcades and a 21m tall minaret. It is the oldest monument of Muslim architecture from Romania. Ali Gaza-Pasa Geamia is part of a medieval historic assembly that has collections of decorative oriental art.

geamia Ali-Gazi Pasa.jpg

Bisericuta Island is placed vis-à-vis of Orgame/Argamum stronghold at approximately 2.5 km south-east across the Razim lake. On the island there is a roman-Byzantine fortification and traces of inhabitance from the Classic Greek and Hellenistic Era as well as Early Medieval one.

insula Bisericuta.jpg

The tumulary Tomb from Agighiol dates from the IVth century BC and it is attributed to a representative of getic aristocracy. The funeral complex from Agighiol occupies an area with 23m in diameter, having a 2m high, arched Form and three chambers. The main chamber where is the tomb contained silver pieces or golden silver, among which a helmet, cnemide (leggings) five silver plates and other bronze And iron objects. The second chamber had objects belonging to a woman and the third trapping Pieces from three horses, probably sacrificed at the chief’s death.

Vovidenia Monastery, cloister built by the Russian monks in the XVIIth century near Slava Rusa village after the rupture inside the Russian church during Patriarch Nikon. On this place a rich widow from Russia settled the base for an abbesses Monastery in 1835-1838. In 1850 is affected by flows. The abbesses brought help from Moscow and built the big church. It is closed in 1878 and the reopened between 1938 and 1939. Is reestablished in 1993. The ceremony is held in Russian. It is the only old faith abbess’s monastery from around the world. It has a paraclise with many valuable patrimonial objects.

vovidenia.jpg

Uspenia Monastery at 3 km south-west from Slava Rusa village was built in XVIIIth century by a group of believers form Slava Rusa that constructed near the village a church in which they lived. The monastery was starting with 1848 Episcopal headquarter under the ruling of metropolitan From the Fantana Alba (White Fountain) and afterwards metropolitan headquarter. In the second half of the XIXth century the wooden church was replaced by cement one sanctified in 1883 with the patron saint Of Adormirea Maicii Domnului. Every year the celebration of the church’s patron saint brings together communities of lippovan Russians from around the country and from abroad. The monastery is the holder of some Old Russian religious art.

uspenia.jpg

The antic city of Halmyris, placed at 2.5 km east from the Murighiol village in the place knows as “Bataraia”, “Geneviz-Kaleh”, “The Stronghold” or “The Sshorel Stronghold” on the road that leads from Tulcea to Duvesseltul de Jos. The archeological researches that took place here starting with the year 1981 brought to light a roman settlement built in an area with inhabitance traces from the VI-Vth and IV/III-II/I centuries BC that knew mannier levels in its evolution: roman fortification from dry land (the last quarter of the Ist century) rock camp -Headquarter of the I Italica and XI Claudia Pia Fidelis Legions and station of Classis Flavia Moesica fleet-the beginning of the IInd century- the third quarter of the IIIrd century; late roman stronghold- the third quarter of the  IIIrd century- the first quarter of the VIIth century. The Romano-Byzantine stronghold has a trapezoidal shape, with a surface of approximately 2 ha, with 15 towers, three gates and three protection waves.

halmyris.jpg